07 September, 2011

Don't be fooled by 3D TV prices

I’ve been searching on the Web yesterday and learned that 3D TV prices are expected to fall a lot during the holiday season this year. I’m not surprised because almost all products go on sale during the holiday season but I do think that it’s about time 3D TVs’ prices fall—especially active 3D TVs. Although I bought my LG 3D TV (LG Cinema 3D LW6500) for a good price, I have friends who have purchased active 3D TVs and felt ripped off and friends who are hesitant to buy a 3D TV because of the price. I see the price as a relative factor i.e. if the product is worth the money, I don’t mind paying the amount even if it’s a bit high. On the other hand, if the product is not so great, I don’t want to pay the price no matter how cheap it is. I’m glad that I got my LG Cinema 3D and think it’s worth its price.
I think active 3D TVs like Samsung and Panasonic are totally overpriced. A really good friend of mine got her Samsung 3D TV before I got my LG Cinema 3D. She paid over $2000 for the TV and bought 3 pairs of 3D glasses for $150 each (they have 3 children and we all know that children want to watch 3D movies together without having to share the glasses) which is RIDICULOUS. This turned out to be not a great decision because it had noticeable flickers very often. She feels like she’s been ripped off but it was too late. So don’t be fooled by the price. When buying electronics, some people think that more expensive models are better models and some manufacturers try to put high price on the product that should really be much cheaper.
But don’t be fooled by cheap price either. Westinghouse and Vizio offer much cheaper passive 3D TVs starting as low as $600. The price is attractive but I’ve read many consumer reviews complaining about those TVs malfunctioning and flickering. I thought passive 3D TVs are not supposed to flicker but I guess that really depends on the manufacturer.





LG Cinema 3D is priced between Vizio and Samsung (exact price depends on the model and options) and gives my family great 3D experience that’s worth the money we paid. Great, crisp 2D and 3D images with no flickers, included 3D glasses, exclusive deals from sites like Netflix… What I want to say through this posting is that if you’re thinking of buying a 3D TV, weigh the quality of 3D experience it will give you and the price of the TV to decide which 3D TV will give you the most satisfactory 3D experience for the money you paid.

No comments:

Post a Comment