25 August, 2011

PUMPKIN CANDIES

Okay this is my second posting today because I didn't write yesterday. My family went picnic yesterday and I was really tired when I got home... I was going to share this recipe in yesterday's posting but since I didn't write it, here it is. 

It’s for Pumpkin candies, which are very common in Southern Brazil. It’s really easy to make, healthy and delicious. The main ingredients are sugar and pumpkin. I changed it up a bit to make the recipe easier and healthier. You can see the original recipe here: http://www.food.com/recipe/docinhos-de-abobora-brazilian-pumpkin-candy-307428

Ingredients:
1kg peeled pumpkin
4 cups sugar
2 cups water
12 cloves
Cinnamon
Direction: 
 Cut pumpkin into 3cm cubes. Boil water and sugar in a saucepan and add cloves and cinnamon. Add the pumpkin. Poke holes in the pumpkin cubes to make so the syrup is more easily absorbed.  Boil on low heat until the pumpkin pieces are tender. Move them with a slotted sppon to a jar. Cool the syrup until it gets thick and pour over the pumpkin cubes. Let it cool before serving.
It makes a good snack or a side dish. Although there’s a lot of sugar in it, it’s a healthier alternative to chips and candies. You can dust it with confectioners’ sugar if you want. Children tend to like it because it’s sweet and soft so if your kids don’t like eating pumpkin, definitely try this recipe. 

No comments:

Post a Comment